Craig and Madi are siblings who both have Type 1 diabetes. They were both diagnosed in 2012 and with in 4 months of each other. Craig (16) and Madi (7) are awesome kids and here you will see the everyday things that come with Type 1. There is no cure for type 1 diabetes. Thank you so much for reading!!
Leave a comment, we would love to hear from you!!!
If you would like to send an email to Madi or Craig, you can do so here: teriprice05@hotmail.com

Sunday, March 10, 2013

Day 176

Having kids with type 1 is a non stop busy life.. It doesnt slow down.. Its like you're living in a constant survival mode..Cant forget anything..Dont forget to pack this and that.. What are the numbers? carbs? Are you low? high? what abut the other kids? Are they getting attention too? Is the house clean? We need groceries. and needles!

Once in a while, life will seem to stop at a moment and Ill have time to think.  Today at church was one of those day.  We had a busy morning trying to get ready and off so we werent late.

When I walked into the church, it seems time slowed down and my mind started thinking...

"Do I really have 2 kids with Type 1 diabetes?"
"Is this really our life?"
"I just never would have imagined ......well, Im sure my kids wouldnt have either."

Last night we attended an event and the kids were representatives for JDRF.  On the way, Craig said "It seems like no one even knows about Type 1 diabetes..Everyone knows what cancer is, and when they see someone who is bald, they feel like they know they have cancer and I feel bad for them.. But if someone finds out you have Type 1 diabetes, they have no idea...they just assume you are unhealthy.."

I knew what he was saying was true..

I expressed to him how proud I am of him for speaking at events, and for volunteering for JDRF..I told him THAT can make the difference..The more people you educate, the better.

And although you can teach people and educate and tell your story, there will always be some people who think they know more than you and think you can fix Type 1 by diet..

Just yesterday morning someone found out Madi had Type 1 and he said to me "Well maybe when they are a bit older and can eat better they will grow out of it."

I really hate comments like those..because although I know they are just uneducated, it still makes me feel like they look at me as a parent and think Im a bad one..because its my or my childs fault they have this disease..

And well, thats just not the case.

So my last comment to all??

Educate..Tell your story..and be an advocate..It will help so many people.

Here is a picture of the 2 kids at an event ..this is a diabetes alert dog..  She can detect highs and lows and can even open a fridge and bring you  a juice box!! Amazing huh!?? She raised her paw to Craig and so I had him check his glucose and he was high!  The dog was spot on!!
 

1 comment:

  1. Grow out of it, huh. Gotta love stuff like that.

    By doing what you are doing - telling your story through this blog - is actively changing what people find when they search for diabetes on the internet.

    Kind of mind-blowing, isn't it?

    Thank you for doing all that you do.

    ReplyDelete