Craig and Madi are siblings who both have Type 1 diabetes. They were both diagnosed in 2012 and with in 4 months of each other. Craig (16) and Madi (7) are awesome kids and here you will see the everyday things that come with Type 1. There is no cure for type 1 diabetes. Thank you so much for reading!!
Leave a comment, we would love to hear from you!!!
If you would like to send an email to Madi or Craig, you can do so here: teriprice05@hotmail.com

Saturday, April 13, 2013

Day 190...lets begin.

The beginning......




I sat in the waiting room as my son went in to see the doctor.  You see, he was 12 years old and well, he didnt want "mom" in the room anymore.  I waited for him to come back out, thinking he would be carrying a prescription for an antibiotic.

Instead, the doctor came out and asked me to come back.

I walked into the room and looked at Craig.  I sat down and heard words I never expected.


"Your son has Type 1 diabetes"


 
I looked over at Craig in confusion..

He was young, healthy, and very active.."How can he have diabetes?" I thought.

The doctor started to explain that he had Type 1 diabetes, an autoimmune disease, that he would need insulin and that it will not ever go away.

Tears started flowing.
The unknown, the worry, and my sweet boy.

We were told "to get some labs done and check web MD for more information on the disease..when we got the labs back, we would go from there"

The next several hours I googled all I could about the disease.

I reached out to friends in the medical field for answers to my many questions.

Within 24 hours, my son and I were at Phoenix Childrens Hospital.
For the next 4 days we learned all we could about this new life he would have.
Those 4 days I didnt leave the hospital.. I watched him learn, and I learned as well.

I was asked my a nurse to give my son a shot.
First off, I hate shots, needles and anything to do with them...so this was a stretch for me.

I got up, walked over and was handed the needle. I pinched the skin on his arm where I was to inject his insulin...I looked at his arm, then back at his face, arm, face, arm, face..

"I cant do it, Im so sorry, I just cant"

 I felt like a failure..How was I supposed to do this? He NEEDS this and I cant give it to him...

The next day, I tried again in his leg.  Somehow I mustered up all of the courage I had and I did it.
I couldnt do it in his arm, it was just too close to his face, but I could handle the leg..barely!

After that, Craig was off to the teen room to play a few video games.

I sat in his hospital room alone. And then it happened..

All of those emotions, tears, and feelings I had held in to be supportive of my boy, well, they all came out.  I was sobbing uncontrollably.
It was just so much to take in and all as such a surprise.
I had worries and fears..but as we learned, we were going to have to be strong because this was our new life...


Life with Type 1 diabetes.



No comments:

Post a Comment