Craig and Madi are siblings who both have Type 1 diabetes. They were both diagnosed in 2012 and with in 4 months of each other. Craig (16) and Madi (7) are awesome kids and here you will see the everyday things that come with Type 1. There is no cure for type 1 diabetes. Thank you so much for reading!!
Leave a comment, we would love to hear from you!!!
If you would like to send an email to Madi or Craig, you can do so here: teriprice05@hotmail.com

Friday, November 9, 2012

Day 130...A post from Craig

A post from Craig:

     Diabetes has changed my life and it has given me another obstacle to hurdle...

     On January 19th I went to the doctor because I was not feeling well.  The doctor said I had diabetes, but I didn't know what that meant.  I was just confused because I had no idea what diabetes was.  At that point I wasn't scared or worried because I just didn't know what it meant.  They sent me home and told me to get some blood work done the next morning.  
     On January 20th, 2012 everything changed.  That day I was sent to the hospital after seeing a 407 blood sugar reading.  I remember feeling terrified.  I didn't know what would be in store for me.
      I remember that my first finger poke was scary.  I was unsure what to expect.  We went to a friend's house who had a meter so I could see what my glucose was.  When I pricked my finger I felt very sick, like I was going to throw up.  Our friend saw the number 407  and said we should go to the hospital. Those words made me almost in tears.  I didn't want to go to the hospital. I thought it would be embarrassing and I didn't know what would happen..
     When we went to the hospital I was scared because we went to the E.R.  When we got there, we sat down and the nurses had to draw blood.  She tried and something happened.  The blood got everywhere and that worried me even more. I thought "Do they even know what they are doing?" . Soon I had to get my first shot.  That moment was unforgettable.  I was just so scared.
       Now I deal with diabetes every day.  I have to deal with daily highs and lows constantly.  If  I don't take care of myself, then I could face worse issues and it is not safe.  When I am high, I feel  kind of light headed and dehydrated.  When I am low, it makes me feel  shaky and sweaty.   It makes me feel like I am very hungry.
     On a daily basis, I have to deal with finger pricks and shots.  This is one thing that I will have to deal with for my entire life. It will not go away. 
     Occasionally I get sad because of diabetes.  Sometimes it is very hard.  These things are hard to deal with and take a while to get used to.  When my sister Madi was diagnosed it felt like my diabetes was a blessing because I could help her.   Overall, this has been a strengthening experience.  It has taught me to no take things for granted and reminds me how lucky I was before my pancreas stopped working.   Although it has been hard, it has also been a blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment