Craig and Madi are siblings who both have Type 1 diabetes. They were both diagnosed in 2012 and with in 4 months of each other. Craig (16) and Madi (7) are awesome kids and here you will see the everyday things that come with Type 1. There is no cure for type 1 diabetes. Thank you so much for reading!!
Leave a comment, we would love to hear from you!!!
If you would like to send an email to Madi or Craig, you can do so here: teriprice05@hotmail.com

Thursday, December 27, 2012

Day 149

Well I have said before that Diabetes doesnt just affect the 2 kids we have that actually HAVE diabetes..
 It affects the whole family.  Emotionally, financially and in a lot of ways.
Sometimes it takes a lot of attention away from our other 2 kids with out diabetes...Time spent in the hospital takes time away from them as well.  It takes longer to get dinner going because we have to add up the carbs..We have to pay more attention to what the T1 kids eat and how much, especially at restaurants.. It takes attention away when I have to be checking Madis blood and my non-T1 kids have a question or need help with homework..

it takes a lot to be a sibling of 2 kids with Type 1...

Diabetes....according to Carter, sibling of Craig & Madi

What is Diabetes? 
Diabetes is when your pancreas doesnt work right and you need to get shots and check your blood and your pancreas makes insulin thats helps, it does an important job in your body and when its not working right you need to get insulin.


How did you feel when Craig and Madi were diagnosed?
Well when Craig was diagnosed with diabetes, I didnt really know what diabetes was..I was kinda scared to think he was sick. Like was it bad, or what does it mean? I didnt know.  He told me he had to get shots.  It made me feel sad in a way, but then when Madi got diabetes I didnt believe you.  I heard you say "Madi has diabetes now" and I thought you were kidding.  I missed her at the hospital a lot.  I thought it would be really hard for her to get all of the shots and check her blood.  It was sad.


How does it make you feel?
It makes me feel sad that they have to prick their fingers and get all of the shots.  And other people without diabetes dont have to get that and they think people with diabetes are fine, but they are not.  

How does diabetes affect YOU?
Um..oh this is hard....Since Craig was diagnosed on my birthday and we were going to go out for a birthday dinner..but we couldnt because then you were both at the hospital.  So I missed you both on my birthday and I didnt get to see you at all.

What do you want to say to Craig about his diabetes?
Well, sometimes he does a good job with his diabetes.  Sometimes he doesnt check his blood. 

What do you want to say to Madi about her diabetes?
Madi is doing a good job, because she can check her own blood.  And she likes to help get her shots. 

What would you tell your friends about diabetes?
If they didnt know about it, I would just say its when you have ot get shots and check your blood. Checking your blood means pricking your finger and getting blood from it.  Then you have to get shots. 

1 comment:

  1. Great post - thanks for sharing this perspective. I think it's really hard to remember to share our energy with the other members of the family when diabetes demands so much of us.

    ReplyDelete