Craig and Madi are siblings who both have Type 1 diabetes. They were both diagnosed in 2012 and with in 4 months of each other. Craig (16) and Madi (7) are awesome kids and here you will see the everyday things that come with Type 1. There is no cure for type 1 diabetes. Thank you so much for reading!!
Leave a comment, we would love to hear from you!!!
If you would like to send an email to Madi or Craig, you can do so here: teriprice05@hotmail.com

Thursday, June 14, 2012

Day 17..an honest truth........

Let me tell you, its kind of hard to keep up with a daily blog!!

so why am I doing this??

  • Some People dont know there are 2 types of diabetes.
  •  
  • Some People do not KNOW what Type 1 is

  • Some People think they know, but they dont

  • There is NO cure for type 1
  •  
  • People diagnosed have it for life...
  • You cannot fix it by eating a certain way...or not eating carbs..



And let me tell you also, before my kids were diagnosed, I was one of those people..I had no idea there were different types of diabetes..
Ill share a quick story.. a few years ago I watched Dr. Phil..There was this lady on there who had a very obese child.. It was sad, this kid was very unhealthy..she was facing many health problems because of it... The mom said "If my child wants McDonalds, Im not going to say no!"  This mom clearly wasnt looking after her childs best interests.. Lets be honest here, if we gave our kids everything they wanted well... it would be insane!! They would be unhealthy, tired and grouchy.. unmotivated too!!

So why am I sharing this?

Because when I heard "diabetes" I thought of unhealthy people, people who were maybe overweight, or ate unhealthy and did not excersize, maybe older people......

And if I thought of a child with diabetes, then they must be very unhealthy right??

Completely wrong... Im just being honest here..because hey, I knew nothing...I was uneducated...

After learning there are 2 types of diabetes, I learned more... and then learning Type 1 is not "caused" by anything a person does, I learned more..and more.. and now we live with it everyday..

I live with people thinking MY kids are unhealthy...

I have heard
"You have a sugar house"
"Your kids are unhealthy"
"Teri ate too much sugar when she was pregnant thats why their kids have this"
"They will grow out of it right"
"Life is back to normal right? Its been a few months"

And those are all statements that were said.. not made up..yes, people actually said them!! Who knows what people say when I am not around...Its very upsetting to me.. although it shoudlnt be, because I know they are false.. My kids are very healthy and active.... but it does bother me...

SO I made this blog.. to share the things that Type 1 IS...what it looks like...and also, what its NOT....
because my general idea on the subject is that people just don't know.....So if you are reading this, thank you....so much!!

This is what Type 1 looks like....in our family...




Type 1 in our family is a boy scout, a pitcher, an allstar baseball player, a great student, a sassy attitude, a sense of humor, goofing off, a hard worker, a ballerina, a smarty pants, a person who loves God, and a whole lot more!!! SO when you think of Type 1, or hear it, you'll see a lot more than someone with a disease..........

No comments:

Post a Comment