For me as a mom, I figured the more people that know the signs, the more people are looking after my kids..and recognizing the signs if they had a low...
So after Craig was diagnosed I went to the school.. taught the teachers and principal...I also went to Craigs Boy Scouts and talked with them..
So here we go...
Kids with Type 1 have no glucose meter in their body so they may not notice if they are getting low ,,or if they are high..especially people as young as Madi... Craig can "feel" when he is getting low.. how??
Low glucose signs:
Symptoms of hypoglycemia include the following:
- Pale skin color
- Sudden moodiness or behavior changes, such as crying for no apparent reason
- Clumsy or jerky movements
- Difficulty paying attention, or confusion
Signs of High....
Symptoms of Hyperglycemia
- Thirst (dehydration)
- Frequent urination
- Blurry vision
- Stomach pain
- Increased hunger
- Drowsiness, lethargy, exhaustion
- Fruity, sweet, or wine-like odor on breath
- Inability to concentrate
- Weight loss (a longer-term symptom) that eventually leads to coma