Craig and Madi are siblings who both have Type 1 diabetes. They were both diagnosed in 2012 and with in 4 months of each other. Craig (16) and Madi (7) are awesome kids and here you will see the everyday things that come with Type 1. There is no cure for type 1 diabetes. Thank you so much for reading!!
Leave a comment, we would love to hear from you!!!
If you would like to send an email to Madi or Craig, you can do so here: teriprice05@hotmail.com

Saturday, August 11, 2012

Day 61

I thought I would share an experience we had the other day and I forgot to post about it..

We were having dinner at a restraunt and we got our food.

 Craig checked his glucose and got his insulin pen out. 

He pulled his sleeve up and gave himself a shot and started to eat, just like he always does..
Without even really thinking about it much..

All of the sudden an old man came up and told Craig he was SO brave and how proud he was of him  for getting his insulin so well.

 We all kind of just stared at him because he was very shaky and just was very friendly and talking about baseball and asking Craig questions (Craig had his baseball uniform on because we were on our way to a scrimmage) ..

It was very sweet of this man to come up to Craig and because he had to get shots, he realized how difficult it is and he wanted Craig to know he wasnt alone...
I almost could have cried besides the fact that my husband would have really given me a hard time about it:)

It just made me think of how much diabetes really is for a child..

Although it almost becomes more routine with time, it is still constant needles piercing their skin several times every day...

And I dont think that would ever really be routine...

Buying certain foods, picking up insulin, making it to doctors appointments, always making sure we are prepared and have backup of test strips and stuff have become more "routine"..

And I say "routine" SO lightly just because it is a lot of work..and can only become routine to a small scale, but it is our life and our routine...

I am SO proud of both of our Type 1-ers..

They fight through this disease every day. 

They bravely withstand the pokes and shots and constant worry of glucose numbers.

 They take the time out of lunch to check their glucose as their friends are chowing down..They are checking and dosing while their meals are getting cold and their siblings are eating..

They sit out at the pool because their numbers run low while everyone else is swimming and laughing without any of these worries..

They dont get invited to things because people dont know what they can have and they think they cannot have cake or whatever..

I wish I could just change it for them.. honestly..I just wish it wasnt something they had to worry about for  the...rest...of...their....lives.

Its not fun..and it is a lot for a child or anyone to worry about ..but I am so proud of my kids..and their sweet spirits..  

They are an inspiration to me...

And I love all of my children so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment