Craig and Madi are siblings who both have Type 1 diabetes. They were both diagnosed in 2012 and with in 4 months of each other. Craig (16) and Madi (7) are awesome kids and here you will see the everyday things that come with Type 1. There is no cure for type 1 diabetes. Thank you so much for reading!!
Leave a comment, we would love to hear from you!!!
If you would like to send an email to Madi or Craig, you can do so here: teriprice05@hotmail.com

Thursday, August 16, 2012

Day 65

Brownie vs Beef Jerky

Well I know I would want the brownie!! yum..And if I wanted it, I could have it with no problem (besides me wanting to exersize after to make up for it!! ha)

But for someone with Type 1 like Madi, a brownie means a shot....and Jerky, well that means no shot, its pure protien..

Well Madi had preschool today and its going okay.. The first day she had so much fun and I checked her right wen I picked her up and she was 64... Not good..

So I made sure the teacher knew that Madi needed to check before she eats snack, not just if she is showing symptoms of being low.. 

I had already told her this, but its a lot of information, so I wasnt upset that they didnt check it before snack that first day..

Live and learn..

So she had preschool again today and yes, they checked her blood before snack.

She was 150..Right on target... 

But.....

Her teacher does not give shots, and I dont really expect her to..... 

So as madis friends were having a juice box and a yummy brownie......

Madi had...Beef Jerky...


Ugh....
Although it maybe shouldn't make me sad, and maybe Im  little emotional lately, it really did make me sad...She told me she was sad that everybody got a brownie but her..
I totally cried... I just felt helpless for her.. really  its just a stupid brownie right?? no..All I kept seeing in my head was Madi sitting there watching all of her friends eating a brownie and her being sad about it...
.It does make me sad that at such a young age, Madi HAS to worry about numbers, shots, snacks and when everyone else is having something that most kids would want, and I know Madi would have wanted a brownie...she couldnt have one..she had to have a protein snack (or free snack) because she needed insulin for it...

It pretty much just stinks...
I know, theres nothing I can do about it.. but I wish I could... I wish she could have sat with all of her friends and enjoyed a yummy brownie and juice box..

But as those items may not affect her friends, they affect Madi in a bad way unless she gets insulin...

Its the same with Craig of course..Last year he was newly diagnosed (well he kind of still is newly)..He had to go to the nurses office every day before lunch and calculate then get his dose.. Im so glad that this year he has the pen and is completely independent with it.  He goes to lunch with his friends and just gets his shot with them around..He has great friends who are understanding about it..He doesnt feel left out with his school friends because they are just so good about it..

Sometimes this is an emotional roller coaster.. for the kids its more of both emotional and physical...but I feel like a mess lately.. Because even though I am truly thankful my kids have a disease that we can manage..it is still a lot of work, stress, sadness and a lot of worry.....

But you cant just sit there and worry..because as "mom" you have to keep it together and take care of everyone.... so you push it all back and then it piles up..Its rough...Today was just rough.....



No comments:

Post a Comment