Craig and Madi are siblings who both have Type 1 diabetes. They were both diagnosed in 2012 and with in 4 months of each other. Craig (16) and Madi (7) are awesome kids and here you will see the everyday things that come with Type 1. There is no cure for type 1 diabetes. Thank you so much for reading!!
Leave a comment, we would love to hear from you!!!
If you would like to send an email to Madi or Craig, you can do so here: teriprice05@hotmail.com

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Day 111

I was thinking about progress...

In the past 9 months we have made.....progress.. but its still a constant disease, that never ends.

To begin, at the hospital I could not give Craig injections.. The nurse came in and I dreaded having to even try.  I hated needles...

Besides my vision being blurry from constantly crying when Craig was gone at the teen room  (I really tried not to cry in front of him.), injecting a needle in my son was just not something I could see myself doing..

I sat there in the hospital room knowing I they would not let us leave until both parents could do an injection.. They had me try on "fake skin".. no problem...its not real..its not MY child..

But when I had the needle in my hand... looking at Craigs arm, then at his face, then his arm, then his sweet face.. I just could not do it.

After a few days, I knew that he NEEDED these injections and I needed to do it..

It was hard..and Craig said I did it too slow, but I did it...and I was kind of proud of myself. That was huge for me! I HATE needles.. and squirm when I get blood drawn..

I could not give him injections in his arm..it was just too close to his face and that made it way too personal and emotional for me.. I was only able to do it in his leg at the hospital..

Now, after almost 9 months, I can draw up his insulin and inject it with no problem.. not because I like to, but because I was forced to..
forced to get over my fears..and in a quick amount of time..

Obviously I have to give Madi her injections too, so there is no way I can be scared..or nervous about the needles anymore..

Our life is now consumed by needles, test strips, little drops of blood, insulin, and numbers.


Craig has been much more independent, I am able to give him injections as well,

One night Craig drew up his Lantus..and injected  it..Then he realized he had just injected 7 units of humalog (short acting insulin)...AAHhh

Get some carbs quick!

After that, we decided we need to see him draw it up..but now that he has the pen for Humalog, it would be hard to mix that up!  But we still double check his Lantus amount every night before he injects it.  Its just habit...

We have found a few patterns that seem consistent.
Following patterns is pretty important.  At first, while the kids are in their honeymoon the number can change a lot.. Their calculations have changed quite a bit.  That was hard to keep track of the new calculations and numbers... for both kids, but right now we have it down:) for now!

So..although diabetes is a lot and seriously never ends in the need for attention..

 we just take it day by day...

making progress...

No comments:

Post a Comment